George H. Carpenter was born in Tompkins, county, New York, May 27, 1856, and is a son of Daniel and Betsy (Shepard) Carpenter. He was educated in the district school, and afterwards attended a graded school, in the village of Groton, Tompkins county. He completed his education at the State normal school, at Cortland, in Cortland county, where he spent two terms. He then, at the age of seventeen years, began teaching school.
At the age of twenty-one he went to Bureau county, Illinois, and engaged in teaching, which he continued fourteen terms. He was subsequently employed in clerking in the store of J. A. Russell, and also had charge of an elevator.
October 10, 1882, he was married to Nora, daughter of J. A. and Sophronia (Barrett) Russell. In March, 1884,
Mr. Carpenter came to Cass county, and settled on section 28, of Pleasant township. The farm which he owns and occupies contains two hundred and forty acres of land, and was formerly the property of the late Captain J. A. Russell, of Bureau county, Illinois. This is a highly improved and desirable farm. All of the improvements were made by Captain Russell.
Source: History of Cass County, Iowa; Springfield, Ill. : Continental Historical Co., 1884.