A. M. Allen, for forty-one years a resident of Polk county, and for four years of Dallas county, is living on sections 12 and 13, Walnut township. He is an active, energetic and practical farmer and stock-raiser, who owns and controls two hundred and forty acres of land. He was brought to Iowa in 1867, when a little lad of less than ten years, his birth having occurred in Green county, Wisconsin, November 7, 1849. His father, Levi C. Allen, was born in Canada, and the grandfather was a native of New York. The latter served as a soldier in the war of 1812 and was wounded in the leg in an engagement. Levi C. Allen was reared in Cattaraugus county, New York, and was married there to Miss Mary Eliza Colby. They became early settlers of Wisconsin, Mr. Allen entering land from the government in Green county, and he developed there an excellent farm, which he continued to cultivate until his death, about 1855. His wife and three children afterwards removed to Iowa, settling in Walnut township, Polk county, in 1861. There she secured land, had the farm tilled and upon that place reared her children, doing a mother’s full part towards her little ones. She died in Polk county in February, 1895, and was buried at Waukee.
A. M. Allen, the only surviving member of the family, was reared in Polk county and is largely a self-educated as well as self-made man, for he had little opportunity to attend school in youth and acquired the greater part of his knowledge through reading, observation and experience since attaining man’s estate. He was married in Polk county on the 8th of January, 1874, to Miss Emma Hunt, who was born in Peoria county, Illinois, and is a daughter of J. W. and Eliza Hunt. The family removed to Iowa and Mrs. Allen was largely reared in Polk county.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Allen located on a farm. He improved two hundred and forty acres in Webster township, Polk county, where he carried on farming for nearly twenty-nine years. He had previously purchased the place where he now resides, on sections 12 and 13, Walnut township, Dallas county, and in 1904 he took up his abode here. He built the house and barn and has developed a neat and attractive farm. He rents his old place, from which he derives a good income, and his time and energies are devoted to tilling the soil and raising stock in Dallas county. He feeds and fattens about five carloads of cattle and three carloads of hogs annually and is very practical in his business methods, reaching results which are most satisfactory. He was formerly president of the Farmers Saving Bank at Grimes and is regarded as an enterprising business man, who does everything in his power to win that ultimate success which is the merited reward of earnest and persistent labor. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Allen have been born four children: Lee, who is married and resides on a farm in Grant township; Alta, the wife of H. C. Thompson, of Webster township, Polk county, by whom she has one child, Allen Thompson; and George and Frank, at home.
In politics Mr. Allen has been a lifelong republican. His father was an old line Whig and abolitionist. A. M. Allen has ever been in hearty sympathy with the principles of the republican party and while living in Polk county he served as township trustee for sixteen years. He is also a believer in good schools and in the employment of competent teachers and did effective work in that direction as a member of the school board. He has likewise been a delegate to county conventions and is recognized as a leading republican of his district. He belongs to the Odd Fellows society at Grimes, in which he has passed all of the chairs and is a past grand. He has also been representative to the Grand lodge and his wife is connected with the Order of the Rebekahs, in which she has also filled all of the offices. Both Mr. and Mrs. Allen are true to the teachings of the fraternity, which is based upon mutual helpfulness and a spirit of brotherly love. They have resided for many years in this part of the state and the circle of their friends is extensive.
Source: Past and Present of Dallas County, Iowa, by Robert F. Wood, S. J. Clarke Publishing Company Chicago, IL, 1907.